Friday, November 6, 2009

Oral presentation done! WOOHOO!

I must admit that in today’s oral presentation (OP), I was extremely nervous! There were butterflies in my stomach while my team members were presenting! I really did not want to screw up in today’s presentation as I did not want to affect my team’s scores and of course, this OP contributes to 20% of my final grade. >.<

I rehearsed a number of times before today’s OP and I must admit that I was very worried as my portion required me to cover quite a heavy content and I took about 8 minutes during my rehearsals. I was worried that I might show bad time management today. Luckily, I managed to finish my speech in about 7 minutes today!

I think some of the good points in my presentation today are that I had good voice projection and my tone was not monotonous as I took the effort to emphasize certain key points in my presentation by slowing down and speaking even louder in certain sentences! I hope that the audience felt the same way too! Also, I thought that I tried my best to speak confidently and passionately about my content while maintaining eye contact with the audience and trying not to look at the screen. (I guess it was useful for me to read garrreynold's delivery tips the day before OP) But I do admit that I was very afraid of looking at a person into his/her eyes though and so, I tend to glance at each group and Brad. Nevertheless, I really tried to hide my nervousness and appear relaxed and natural as much as possible. Also, I was more conscious about my non verbal body movements today. (I tend to move a lot when I’m nervous) I am also very glad that my team showed good time management as we managed to stick to presenting within 20 minutes. Also, all of us tried to stand nearer to the class so that we can be seen more clearly.

However, I felt that I sort of failed to invoke a sense of humour in the audience when I mentioned that networking is a good way to meet one’s potential spouse. HAHA! Oh well, I still continued on as usual. Also, one major part that I can improve on is to do away without my help notes in my hands! I understand that one has to internalize (not memorize) the content of one’s presentation but I was EXTREMELY afraid that I would forget the key messages which I wanted to convey to my audience. Hence I still chose to have the paper in my hands while presenting for emergency purpose. :D Nevertheless, I tried my best to internalize my content before the presentation and NOT to refer to the cards in my hands as much as possible today! I love Ivan and XiangMin for being able to speak without reference to any notes. (I need more practice in this part!)

Also, I was quite taken aback by the questions asked by my fellow classmates. I tried to answer the questions to the best of my ability but I do admit that I depend on Ivan quite a bit to help me with some of the difficult questions raised. Nevertheless, I hoped that I still appeared to be confident during the QnA session though. (XiangMin, I am very sorry that you did not have a chance to answer the questions as most questions targeted the recommendation portion which Ivan and I were more familiar with) I understand that the audience may have doubts in our recommendation as I mentioned the recommendation portion rather briefly due to the lack of time. But I hope that Brad and my classmates are interested in our team’s proposal though! :P (I have a question: Did I move my hands a lot while speaking? I think I did but I am not very sure about it)

To my team: THANK YOU for all your hard work! (Xiang Min for coming out with the powerpoint template and Ivan for inserting the pictures and finding the video) I thought that Team S.I.X did better than I expected! :D (At least the video injected some smiles in the audience!)

P.S I bothered to dress up today for the first time in ES class HAHA!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    Your presentation was great. At least, I did not feel that you were nervous from your gestures. As for the failed humor, I think it was because of the tone of the presentation. The presentation had a more serious tone throughout and a sudden joke was injected. Maybe that is why it was harder for us to respond.

    Although you had paper in your hand, I can hardly recall if you looked at them. I would have referred to them if I had them in my hands, not because i need to but because it gives a sense of security. I think you did a great job in trying not to look at them.

    Before your presentation, you greeted the audience which was a polite gesture. However, you followed through with a self-introduction of yourself and what you were going to present. Personally, I felt it seems as if I was sitting in for a separate presentation.

    At one particular slide, (Pardon me for my poor memory. I can’t remember which slide.) you mentioned “good” several times. I felt it was slightly vague. Perhaps it would have been better to elaborate what your team was trying to convey by “good”.

    Last but not least, sorry for the amount of questions. “Compulsory” always hurts. Haha. Your team had managed it well by not panicking and able to answer all of them.

    All the best with your revisions!
    Chee Siang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah!

    I think you were very clear when presenting. I love how you gave a lot examples for every point that you raised. You sounded confident to me and I must say that you looked really professional to me! (I didn't sense any nervousness coming from you and you were actually standing very near your audience)

    However, I feel that at certain points, you kept having a quick glance at the notes on your hand. Actually, I feel that you knew your stuff well (as I said, you sounded confident) and you did not really need the notes. Maybe like what Chee Siang said, having notes on your hand gave you a sense of security that if anything happened, at least you would not be completely blank out.

    I think it was a good thing that your group stood very near to the audience because if you were standing further away, more towards the screen which was on a darker side, the focus would be more on the slides which looked brighter. The fact that your group were standing more towards the centre of the class make the presentation more focused on the presenter rather than presented stuffs as it was like having the spotlight shining on you. However, I noticed that our group did not receive as much attention (I mean eye contact) as we were sitting in front and I understand that it could be due to your position where you might have to turn much to your right to establish eye contact with us. Anyway, we got all the attention (haha) during Q&A...our group asked so many questions that we must have given your group a hard time. Sorry about that and good job on the Q&A!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheesiang: Thx for your comment!

    Wanwei:Yep! I do agree with you that my notes gave me a better glance of security! Whenever I take quick glances at my notes, I seem to remember what I want to say better!

    Oh yes I admit that I did not really look at your group much as you guys were sitting in front. I'm so sorry as I tend to look far away whenever I get quite nervous hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sarah, for this incredibly comprehensive reflection and for your strong effort with the project and the presentation. Contrary to what you might think, you looked quite **relaxed** in the show. I was impressed by Team SIX in general. I'll give you more comments later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brad. Thank you for your assurance in my OP performance. I look forward to receiving more detailed comments =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sarah!

    First and foremost, thank you for the hard work, along with Xiang Ming, that both of you had put into this presentation. I would like to apologize if by any chance I was a slave driver, due to the fear of not being able to give a persuasive presentation. I think you have done well on your part for providing information to the audience with a good voice projection, a great eye contact to the floor and the attempt to bring some humor into the point of meeting your potential spouse in CCA groups. =P

    The self-introduction was a good move to reinstate to the audience who you are and your agenda for your portion of presentation. Perhaps with response to Chee Siang’s question about the use of ‘good’, it was actually explained in detail on the categorization of ‘good’ and how the general good can be used for the benefits and recommendations. The time constraint, as mentioned in my blog post, was the key factor why good was not explained again in the presentation and perhaps it might be a good idea to ask how benefits are deemed ‘good’ during the Q&A session. =)

    Back to Sarah, I am glad to say that unlike the other three times that we rehearsed together for the presentation, you actually referred a lot lesser to your notes! I think it was a good move and at the most I saw you peek at it once or twice only. Good job! As for the standing location, I hoped that Wan Wei would find the explanation that I provided back to you in a reply on my blog post suffice. However, if there are any other questions, feel free to ask and we would gladly respond.

    In all, a good presenter, partner, and contributor to the team’s topic devised by Xiang Min and definitely a great asset to the team. Thank you again and thanks to you too Xiang Min for the time took despite your busy and hectic schedule!

    Regards,
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Sarah,

    I loved your presentation! You were loud and clear. Not only that you had a great use of emphasis to draw attention to your point and your pacing was just right. I also think that you held up very well under the pressure during the OP and especially during the Q&A. Sorry for grilling you so much there :)

    Anyway, I felt that your hand gestures were sufficient, appropriate and varied; I think that you were one of the best with that. Kudos to you on this as you managed to pull it off while 'juggling' your notes too, haha.

    Along this line, I'm fine with your using notes to help you along in your OP as I don't think that you referred excessively to them. If they help you in your presentation and give you confidence and you are still able to maintain eye contact, then sure - go ahead with the notes. However, a slight suggestion: Use hand-held cards for notes instead of a folded A4 paper as it looks more organised.

    Ciao,
    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ivan: Thanks for being a great team leader too! I guess being a "slave driver" pushed the team a lot and we made great progress and great results!

    Abby: Hi Abby! Thank you for your kind comments and addressing the concerns which your other team members had! Thanks for your compliments too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:urgentloan22@gmail.com Thank you

    ReplyDelete