Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Classes have ended?!?!?!

Time flies and it is the final week of the teaching semester before exams loom around the corner!

As I reflect on what made me choose “ES2007S: Professional Communication” in the first place, it makes me laugh because the reason is pretty lame. 4 Science Club seniors recommend me to take this module in my first year at NUS because it is FUN, ‘TEXTBOOK-less’, and VERY USEFUL! (Brad, do you remember Jane Chan, Moses Khoo and WeeSiong? They were in your class last year =P) My seniors also said “You must choose the class with Brad Blackstone as the tutor ok? He’s the most engaging one!” I heeded their advice and THANK GOD I took this module! :D

Yes, I was mentally prepared that the workload was going to be heavy, just as what my seniors had described to me! But I must admit, this is one of the best modules to take in NUS, besides Malay language. :D (Serious! No Boot-licking) I absolutely LOVE the way we interact in class. Classes are never boring! I always look forward to lessons despite my hectic 8-hour break-less classes on Tuesday and Friday. Even though work is never-ending (and I really mean NEVER-ENDING), I declare that I learn the most out of all module in NUS. (Just like what I mentioned in my first post that I hope to reap more than what I sow.)

Which module in NUS will teach life-long skills such as writing application letter, resume, proposals, oral presentation skills, job interviews and qualities like having high EQ? So tell me, what more can I complain about? The work load is simply worth my pain. (Oh wait... the work load is even further cut down, as compared to previous semesters!)

There are just so many good things that I love about ES2007S, which I probably will not blabber here again as my classmates would have mentioned quite a lot on their blogs. Nevertheless, I have only 2 suggestions. Firstly, for the formation of teams to work on proposals, it will be good if having a team leader in each group is not compulsory! I think that this results in a lot of dependence on the team leaders. Perhaps what a team needs is a team FACILITATOR, whose job is only to arrange meeting times and place. Other than that, all of the team members are made equally responsible in ensuring the smooth progress of their group work. In this way, team members will not have the tendency to wait for the team leader’s cue most of the time. Secondly, I think the number of websites in the skill builders could be shortened to about 3 key websites? :D The number of websites to view per week is quite a lot and for most of the time, I cannot quite remember what I have read before my next class!

Other than that, I have no other complaints!

Since this is my last post for this module, I would like to express my gratitude to ALL of my group 9 classmates (I think we rock the class!) and Brad, for being the best ‘ang-moh’ tutor I’ve seen in NUS (HAHA!) and for being a superb facilitator for my endless learning of communication skills! I am feeling pretty sad now as honestly, I will miss this class a lot! I think I have all bonded very well with everyone in this class, especially with a couple of girls, in a short span of 13 weeks. =) I wish you guys all the best in your future endeavours and Brad, may you have many income bonuses every year! :P

GAMBATTE!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    My Tuesday and Fridays are terrible too! I end at 8pm. I am lucky to have ES2007S to start these two days.

    However, unlike you, I was not prepared for the workload. (YES the work never seems to end.) But I think we have learnt quite a lot from them.

    Erm, one point to note. “…if having a team leader in each group is a compulsory!” I think you are trying to type “is not compulsory”?

    One last correction. I think you will miss the class but one guy right? I mean, you will be seeing him almost everyday. :P

    Wish you all the best too,
    Chee Siang

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah!

    Unlike you, I learnt of this module from an email sent out by the Science faculty and even though I knew then that the workload was heavy (after checking out the website), I still went ahead and bid the module due to its usefulness. I am glad I did not drop this module when I first felt like doing it as I have learnt so much, unlike my many other modules where the stuff learnt were normally "unlearnt" with regurgitation onto the final examination answer sheet. And I agree with you that this module is really different from other modules that I have taken in NUS.

    I am going to miss this class a lot too as I have knowna bunch of great friends and taught by an extremely friendly teacher. It's a pleasure knowing you and I believe you will make a great teacher (after completing this course, should be ten times greater eh?). Last but not least, thank you so much for taking the time and effort to read my blogposts. I appreciate the comments you made and you were always one of the earliest to comment.

    No goodbye from me, only lots of good wishes...

    Cheers,
    SATU HALA (one way)

    ReplyDelete
  3. CheeSiang: HellO! Yeah sorry for the typo error. I have corrected it! Hahaha you're right I'll most probably be seeing 1 guy almost everyday. :P:P In any case, thanks for the great friendship!

    WanWei: Hello! Yep besides my seniors' recommendations, I also received emails about this module every semester and so, I started to be more aware of this module. On top of that, the bidding points is relatively cheap! Also, thanks for your compliments! All the best in your finals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo Sarah,

    It's been lotsa fun having you in the blogging group. Your comments are always useful and sooo friendly that even the suggestions for improvement are very positive-sounding. Haha!!

    I also had the same trouble with the skill-builders. I ended up reading those resources in the com labs right before class started, so if I was late a few times, now you'd know why :D However, I think that the websites were very useful, especially for my peer-teaching part where most of our resources were taken from them.

    Well, all's well that ends well. Wishing your all the best for your studies and your future teaching career!

    Ciao,
    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Sara, for the compliments and for the good honest feedback. I appreciate that. You know, you guys really made the class what it was. Without your hard work, goodwill, talent and cooperative spirit, things would not have progressed the way they did. It was a lot of fun working with each of you.

    I'm wondering if one of these days we could all meet up for lunch, at the Munchie Monkey or some place like that. Maybe you can broach the idea with Ivan and others.

    Anyway, thank you again for all your support. Having your full attention and knowing nod/smiling face in the front certainly made the teaching part as fun as any of your learning!

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abby: Hello! Thank you for your kind compliments! With regards to the skill builders, they were definitely usful when it comes to our peer teaching topics! But I was just suggesting that the number of websites for others could be cut down as the content to be viewed before the next class was simply overwhelming. I feel that perhaps the number of websites could be cut down to 3 most important websites. In any case, all the best to you too! :D

    Brad: Thank you for your compliments once again! You've been a very kind tutor to all of us! Oh yes! I think the idea is great. Perhaps after our exams, we can have a small gathering at munchie monkeys! Will inform you if we hold one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sarah, the course is over, and the work is done. I know you are sad, because you will not be able to take as much similar modules with me in future. Hahahaha! I think that lunch at Munchie Monkeys is a great idea! Maybe we can go to Facebook and start spamming who are interested and when are their last exams! =)

    You are a good classmate, a great team mate and definitely a fantastic girlfriend! =DD Nothing bad to say about you (Actually, I'm barred from that). As for the others, other than the lunch, anyone interested in an Australia trip to Sydney end of this year?

    Regards,
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sarah!

    Man, your enthusiasm always amazes me! Anyway I will always remember Sarah as the friendly girl who in the first lesson who told me and Wanwei about how she met her boyfriend, whom she thought was a “bastard” at first. And then I found out who he was, haha!

    Indeed, I have enjoyed ES2007s like you have too! But I’m with you on the suggestion regarding the skill-builders. I always losing interest like after I read the third link or so. :x

    Anyway, thank you Sarah for all the ways in which you have helped me with your commenting, and for being such a great gal pal! I wish you all the best in your exams, and I know you will make a fantastic teacher!

    Oh and a get-together sounds fab! Haha It’s gonna be a facebook thing? Lol thank god I have facebook now, means I’ll be in the loop! =)

    XOXO,
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ivan: OI! What you mean I bar you??? Don't put words into my mouth lo! Oh no I don't wanna take another module on OP and writing skills with you. Almost broke down after u made me stay up just to work you slave driver! haha!

    Sheryl: Oh gosh you remembered that incident? I almost forgot about it already! Haha! It was quite embarrassing actually because I did not expect my name to be called so I thought I just share with you 2! :P No problem girl. All the best for your finals too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah,

    Sorry for such a late post! Anyway I want to say, I was forewarned about the workload, but somehow I didn't expect it to be so overwhelming at times. And yes, your enthusiasm for commenting, along with Ivan's is insane and deeply admirable.

    You've been a great classmate!

    All the best for the exams!


    regards,
    aldrich

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Aldrich!

    Yeah I agree with you that the workload is so overwhelming at times that sometimes, I had thoughts of giving up but I managed to peservere on! Oh I comment quite enthusiastically during my breaks while I'm studying! :P I use commenting as a form of relaxation for me! Haha! Thanks and all the best for your finals!

    ReplyDelete